Elkland Township Cemetery
Established in 1870
As settlement and townships were formed in this country, one of the first orders of business was to establish a cemetery.
The Elkland Township Cemetery, one mile east of Cass City, originated in 1870 when the Board of Health purchased 40 acres of land. From the first meeting minutes of this board of Health is the following---- "pursuant to Notice of posting, the Board of Health met this 15th day of September A.D. 1866 to take into consideration the propriety of establishing a township burial ground." The next entry to mention this was August 1870. "It was unanimously voted to issue bonds of Elkland Township in the amount of $500 to purchase the NE 1/4 of NE 1/4 of Section 23 and also to procure 1 1/2 acres adjoining the above described."
A "potter's field" or place for the burial of indigent or unknown persons, was located in the southeast corner of the cemetery.
On April 13, 1872 the board of health met at the cemetery for the purpose of selling the choice lots.
The rules and regulations governing the sales of lots were adopted at this meeting. Cost of lots for Township residents was $3.00 and $5.00 for non-residents.
A notice was issued on April 30, 1879 for shade trees, fencing and improvement. Lots in the "old part" of the cemetery were all sold by 1904 and a new section was plotted in 1912. A steel fence replaced the original board fence in 1913 and in April 1917 it was decided that the Sexton should put in 4 or more wells. In 1919, Isaac Hall built the Chapel.
Today, Elkland Township Cemetery covers 31 acres with more in the planning.
Road ways are about 23 feet wide
North and South aisles are about 4 feet wide
East and West aisles are about 8 feet wide
John Ball 1914-1930
Joseph Benkelman 1930-1944
Charles Bigelow 1944-1977
Ted Morgan 1977-1997
Don Erla 1997-2010
Steve Wright 2010-present